Experimental PR campaign saw toys travel across the globe which ensured coverage across key toy titles.
Damco is one of the world’s leading third party logistics providers specializing in customized freight forwarding and supply chain solutions. The company has 10,800 employees in over 300 offices across 90 countries and representation in a further 30 countries.
- Raise Damco’s profile and engage with toy manufacturers in the UK and Germany
- To up-sell the toy value proposition to Damco’s existing retail customers
- To generate leads and secure new customers / business
- Foster relationships with trade media
- To stand out from other logistics providers and capture the imagination of the toy trade, toy manufacturers and toy media, BOTTLE identified that the campaign needed to be highly creative, pushing the boundaries on traditional logistics companies’ PR campaigns
- BOTTLE created the “Damco Toy Trip”, inviting toy manufacturers, distributors and retailers to contribute a toy for a round-the-world trip of a lifetime. Budding Toy Tourists were ‘checked-in’ at the Damco Executive Airport Lounge at London Hilton Olympia on Wednesday 25 January 2012 and also at the Global Toy Conference in Nuremberg on Monday 6 February 2012
- The toys visited ten cities travelling through seven countries spanning three continents over a four month period from Nuremberg to Munich, New York, Los Angeles, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Genoa and Madrid, travelling in a range of Damco transportation before arriving back in London at the beginning of June
- The toys’ progress was tracked at www.damcotoytrip.com and updates were sent direct from Damco to toy manufacturers, distributors and retailers
- At the end of their trip the toys will be donated to the Evelina Children’s Hospital, part of Guys and St Thomas’ in London and SOS Kinderdorf in Nuremberg
- BOTTLE kicked off the partnership with experiential campaign during London Toy Fair. Toy manufacturers, distributors and retailers were sent mock airline tickets, inviting them to send one of their toys on an round-the-world trip of a lifetime, before being donated to the Evelina Children’s Hospital, part of Guys and St Thomas’ in London.
- BOTTLE created an airport departure lounge at the London Hilton Olympia near the London Toy Fair, where people could relax whilst dropping off their toys. This enabled Damco to recruit participants and offer their supply chain services to top names in the toy industry including Disney and Mattel
- 4 business contracts have been won as a direct result of the campaign
- 200 leads have been identified to date, which are being progressed by the Damco sales team in UK and Germany
- All 50 seats on the trip were taken – this exceeded Damco’s year one target of engaging with toy manufacturers in the UK and Germany
- Big names included Mattel, LEGO and Disney and even a German Princess donated a toy. The Toy Tourists included Rapunzel, Matilda and Sonic the Hedgehog
- BOTTLE secured two charities – the Evelina Children’s Hospital, part of Guys and St Thomas’ in London and SOS Kinderdorf in Nuremberg who will be receiving all the toys
- Relationships were reinforced with existing clients
- BOTTLE has secured 20 items of coverage to date. The campaign has truly caught the imagination of the toy trade media
- Maersk also featured the campaign on their Facebook page securing 387 Likes and through their Twitter feed which has 1,641 followers
- Each Damco Toy Trip blog post received approx 50 hits each and each set of photos on the Damco Toy Trip blog received approx 50 views per set.
- The top 10 most popular individual photos were viewed over 100 times each